Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Sudden Passion "Central Standard Time"



Above is the video for "Herpes of the Heart" by The Sudden Passion. Curiously, I have no idea how I procured this little gem of a record, but I feel that it has something to do with my cavalier attitude towards the "stealing" of music online. Seems these indie-folk outlaws found a way to tack their record, "Central Standard Time" onto the the Black Keys "Brothers" album. Whether or not this is sanctioned by the Black keys is unknown at this time, however if I were the Black Keys, I would just go with it. The Sudden Passion, are...different; for lack of a better description, they sound like what They Might Be Giants, would sound like if they'd been weaned on a healthy diet of Exile on Mainstreet era Rolling Stones and outlaw country records. If you think that's a diss, you're totally in the wrong place. The songs seem heartfelt and I found myself snickering at first to the contrast of heartfelt songwriting with the litany of F-bombs used to describe emotion. Then, after a few spins I realized, there are no polite words to describe the feeling of the word "Fuck." Sometimes, maybe even in polite company, you gotta "Fuck." Despite, this realization, it does sound unnatural in the connotation, but all good art has to challenge the audience to follow it down the rabbit hole of the artists imagination. Once, I let go and went along for the ride, i felt like this was a well worn, scratched CD that had been a staple in the cars of good friends, during long nights, looking for some action and only finding good conversation, good tunes and cold beers. Yeah, I really, really like it.


Support these guys and pick up a copy, or download it and buy a t-shirt when they're on tour in your town or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment