Wednesday, August 26, 2009

District 9

Soooo, District 9 is about aliens in Johannesburg, South Africa living in slums for the last 30 years. Bio-technology, social commentary and explosions keep this movie moving. It's got a few flaws and could have used...something. I pegged the ultimate outcome for our protagonist as soon as the opportunity presented itself, 15 minutes into the movie. Interestingly, our protaganist isn't really all that likeable; actually, I didn't like him at all until the very end of the film. I questioned his motives, all of his actions and his apprehension to make any moves in the right direction. Maybe this was intentional, seems unrealistic to me though. If you find yourself morphing into an alien, on the run from bloodthirsty government killers and your wife has basically kicked you to the curb, wouldn't you be pissed off and ready for action? I would and it wouldn't take me an hour to do it. Bottom line, this is produced by Peter Jackson. He can do no wrong...he made Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Dead/Alive....er, granted he didn't direct this. He's directing The Lovely Bones a movie about a murdered girl who watches over her family from heaven, weighing whether or not she should get some revenge. That movie will probably be awesome and perfect because in my world Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro, Terry Gilliam and Rob Zombie are the new rock stars...actually Rob Zombie was a rock star...whatever, Halloween 2 is coming out. I thought he promised us that Mike Myers was dead? What happened? This movie better blow the socks off of my feet straight into the hamper...seriously w.t.f?

No comments:

Post a Comment